Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lauren Deen's Coconut Chicken and Tropical Salsa

I made this for dinner tonight. I should tell you right now, The Critic was not home for dinner, which is why I chose to make it - this is something he would not go near (mostly because of the coconut). But I wanted to make this recipe from the day I saw it, so I saw my opportunity and took it.

Sadly, there are no pictures because I was in such a hurry to eat it. However, I can tell you this: it. was. DELICIOUS. Super easy to do, too - throw some chicken in an egg and the cornflake/coconut mix, then while it's cooking, make up the salsa. I do have to tell the truth though - I used sweetened cocunt. I'm sure that detracted from the "thin" quality, but, like I said, it was delicious!

Lauren Deen's Coconut Chicken and Tropical Salsa
• 1 large egg
• 2 cups cornflakes, coarsely crushed
• 1/2 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
• 1 pound chicken tenders
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1/2 teaspoon pepper
• 1 cup diced fresh pineapple
• 1 cup corn kernels, thawed if frozen
• 1 red bell pepper, stemmed, seeded, and diced
• 1 scallion, thinly sliced
• 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
• 1 teaspoon canola oil


1. Preheat the oven to 425°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. Crack egg into a shallow dish and beat lightly. Combine cornflakes and coconut in another shallow dish. Season the chicken with 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and 1/4 teaspoon of the pepper, then dip in the egg and dredge in the cornflake mixture.
3. Arrange coated chicken on the prepared pan in a single layer. Bake until golden brown and cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, toss together pineapple, corn, pepper, scallion, lime juice, oil, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a large bowl.
5. Serve chicken with the salsa.


Serves: 4
Source: Lauren Deen on the Today Show

No comments:

Post a Comment